Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Second Sight

So this blind guy comes out of a building and his cane is bouncin around like a metranome at a polka party - bam bam bam bam he's whacking the sidewalk with these high-stick arcs, people ducking for cover. Down the block I see this guy sitting on a ledge, back turned, totally absorbed with a book - and I know these two are on a collision coarse for a SP moment. Only I'm a couple yards behind the blind swordsman, way out of position, so I scramble bobbin, weavin around parked cars and just get to the sweet spot with about a half-second to spare. I gotta fire from the hip - no time to line up just snap and ... the scene goes down exactly as predicted... but

When I get back to the homestead I see that I've chopped off the blind guy's head and torso and there's this weird dutch angle goin on and I'm bummed. That's where things sat for a few days and then slowly the fog of preconceived notions began to burn off and where I had once seen a botched attempt to capture a pratfall I now saw a complex geometry and mystery unfold. Had second sight saved me from my blind ambition - or was it just more masturbation ? I'll stop when I need glasses.

4 comments:

Nimrod said...

What I like about this picture is the expression on his face...

Anonymous said...

nimrod - he was really startled, and the way the blind guy was swinging his cane, he was probably afraid he might get poked in the eye... you're right without the expression there's no picture.

jannx said...

Bongo, the expression is perfect for a response to a "stimulus from the unknown". I also like the Lee Friedlander-like post in the centre of the frame.

You were on an unconscious photographic groove.

bONGO said...

thanks Jannx,

Jannx:
>"You were on an unconscious >photographic groove"

Consciousness is good for makin sure there's film in the camera and the exposure is right, then it should get the hell outta the way.