Saturday, June 16, 2007

Bag Mod

I wanted a compact quick-draw bag for my street rig and found this snazzy insulated six-pack carrier for $7.00. It turns out that what works to keep beer cold, can also protect your camera. Most of these beer bags are cheapily made plastic jobs, but this one by "FreezeOut" has a nice quality canvas cover with contrasting stitching, double pull zippers, a little bungi cord (for what I don't know), an auxillary pouch, and the coolest feature - a trap door - for the quickest draw of any bag you'll find at any price.

The modifications:


Cardboard stiffeners attached with double stick tape to the bottom and two of the sides.


Rubber stick-on feet to protect the bottom.


"D" rings and a wide detachable swivel strap to replace the sewn on one.


Replace the "FreezeOut" logo with my own and I'm good to go.


4 comments:

Nimrod said...

Don't you feel a bit funny walking with this thing on? Especially in that blue color...

Do you really need to hide the camera when not using it? After all this isn't a small p&s. You will be noticed when you take the picture.

bONGO said...

Good Points - I don't use a bag - no bag - when I'm doing street photography. This one is for storage, to and from the car, and when I'm out doing other stuff and think a photo-op might present itself.

Anonymous said...

Nice mod, and it even keeps your camera cool when it's hot! :)

I use a (much more expensive) LowePro Slingshot, which also has a trapdoor.

bONGO said...

Yeah, the beer bag idea now seems a little too low-rent even for me. Slingshot is a good choice