Sunday, February 25, 2007


I was struck by how the girl's hair resembles a fish and how unlikely you'd be to notice that if not juxtaposed with the store display.
It's interesting how analogous fishing and street photography are.
Streets are like rivers. Favorite spots. The art of "being quiet" and elusive. Specialized gear. The thrill of the snap. The catch. The stories about the ones that got away. A certain braggadocio and sense of camaraderie that both fisherman and street shooters share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely relate to your comments on fishing and photography - and since I consider myself a landscape photographer rather than a street photographer I think you can generalize the concept to many forms of photography. And I used to fish some when I was young and I've often mused on the similarities of the activities. I've never had such a clever photograph to illustrate the concept though.

And an interesting observation on context too...

Anonymous said...

Incredibly well spotted, I don't know how you do it (although I guess... by fishing. With a lot of patience and a lot of ones getting away)

bONGO said...

Eric, Dan, thanks. I've come to realize that just about everything is a little like fishing, - sales, pickin up girls, etc. In someways SP is like shooting fish in a barrel. Our environment and culture is so rich with signs, signifiers, meanings, that you can almost point your camera anywhere and "catch" something albeit a bit obscure at times.