Saturday, February 3, 2007

Down by Law

I turned and in a heart beat found myself at the exact right spot at the exact right time.

I had a camera with me; in fact I had two cameras with me. But I had violated the Second Law of Street Photography - "Always Be Composing - always." Keep the camera strapped to the hand, the aperture set, the focus locked, the shutter cocked, finger on the release.

I had two cameras with me that day - in a bag dangling from my shoulder. I might as well not brought them. The Japanese might as well not made them. Niepce might as well not invented them. Muse Street had made an offer but I had violated the Second Law.

Fortunately if you violate the Second Law, you can often take solace in the Third Law. The bittersweet saving grace Third Law of Street Photography: "if you see it once, you'll see it again." No doubt.

No comments: