Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Back To The Future

Sigma's new DP1 - 28mm fixed lens APS foveon sensor pocket camera comes with an LCD screen, but the optical view finder is an extra $150. Even though I don't have the camera yet, I figured while I'm waiting I'd see if I could come up with a less expensive and perhaps better finder for it. I looked around for a cheap camera that I could hack the finder out of and found this little Point and Shoot 35mm film camera for $4.99.

It's not much but has a 27mm lens and finder to match. In fact the finder is about as big and clear as anything I've ever seen..

The back element measures a whopping one inch diagonally. That is huge. I was about to start ripping it out when it occured to me that since I don't have the DP1 yet it might be fun to see what this relic could do. I put in some batteries and it fired right up. It has focus lock and adjusts the flash compensation. The lens is an all glass 27mm f6.3. If I snap anything worthwhile with it, I'll post it here.


ciao bONGO




1 comment:

jannx said...

some of those Oly p&s are pretty good. You just might be surprised for $5